Friday, April 2, 2010

Ghosts


It's been far too long and my blogging loins are reeling from an apparent lack of anything significant happening over the course of the past few days. The thesis thing has been robbing me of sleep and crucial late night blogging time, but that's another thing entirely. Holy week and the fact that my car's been in the shop since last Sunday leaves me with nearly nothing to talk about other than sweeping sentiments towards life that I have yet to practically affirm and this little thing from last Monday.

Bea is back in Davao for the summer. We haven't seen each other since last year, so we decided to hang out one afternoon over coffee to make up for lost time and all. We ended up spending the greater part of the day in Blugre Landco. (supposed to be Coffeecat but they were full) Spent a lot of time talking about how strange people are, how things get lost in translation between cultures and how we're not getting any younger, basically. It felt good reconnecting with her but what came after totally caught me unaware.

I hailed a cab over at DMSF; it was a pretty well-used no-name cab and the cab driver was this regular old middle aged guy. I told him to drop me off at Green Heights. All of the sudden, the driver gives me this weird look. No, not "I want to rape you behind a tree" kind of weird. More like apprehensive weird but I digress. On the way there, he asks me something. "Hey...", he said. "Do you believe in ghosts? Spirits? Anything of that sort?" I answered, "well, that would depend on what you have to say."

"It's about Green Heights."
"What about Green Heights?"

He sighs and tells me about this weird guy who asked him the same question. He gave the same answer. The strange person offers him 4000 bucks to stay a night at his house. The cab driver accepts and spends the night, much to his horror. I won't go into details but long story short, he heard people violently knocking on the door (which was meters away from a ten foot gate), he saw people staring at him from the window, saw strange shadows on the ceiling, heard people talking all over the house in tongues. All sorts of weird shit. He also pointed at a few haunted houses on the way to my place and told me about the things he saw there whenever he came by.

I always had this running joke about Green Heights being a ghost town. Whether or not he's out to win an academy award or if he just needs psychological assistance (or on the off chance if this is all true), this sort of just plays into that.

Way to go, cab guy. You just confirmed my assumptions. Especially about all the abandoned houses I WANTED TO BREAK INTO.

Before I left the cab, the guy tugged on my shirt and said, "I really don't like it here." Yeah. Way to go, cab guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment