Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Safe in small hands

I just found the original lyrics for what was to be Caitlyn Bailey's 9 minute epic, Small Hands. I hope to actually use these lyrics someday for another CB song. Til then, I'll post it here under its working title. Honestly, I couldn't remember how this didn't make it to record. It remains unfinished but sort of reads alright as/is.

Safe in small hands

Tears have never fallen from heaven the way they did on the day I decided to cleanse myself of the scent of home and everything that came with it. I ran as fast as any child could ever run; chasing what I thought was solace, dressed in the clothes of escape and new captivity. As the rain fell on me, I saw that there was nowhere else to go but far away from here; "anywhere but here", just as mother said. I couldn't begin to ask whether I was running forward or simply running away from a life I called my own but knew was never mine.

...but this was mine, the notion that all roads led to the same place; to that single moment of clarity that was neither clear enough to decipher or obscure enough to disregard. This heart; this time of day was mine, waiting patiently for the torrential downpour of my generation to come crashing down. To wash away each and every single idle moment where a hand touched a cheek, a robe was taken off and wet kisses led to a war of men and men again. The shadow of absence cuts deep and narrow. This was a life I called my own but knew was never mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment