Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The weekend bipolar




With everyone being in a particularly festive mood, I guess it would be good to cash in with the whole Christmas/year-ender party thing for once. Since this is the last week of school for 2009, everybody's been busy making plans for the weekend. I made plans myself, leaving for Manila on the 20th. This isn't about that, though. If you all remember, my friend Peter sang for a thrashcore band called As A Whole. A few weeks ago, Pio (or was it Von?) asked if I wanted to sing a song or two for AAW's final show. Of course, I accepted since A: Lie No More was my favorite AAW song next to Building Structures (which Sak and Wex of Iron Will sang that night) and B: As A Whole and Peter's efforts were practically my introduction to local punk rock.

Got to Dart Station (yeah, the 'iconic' hardcore punk venue) around 9-ish and I just knew then and there that this wouldn't be one of those shows that would inevitably end up achieving critical mass. It was mostly guys in bands and Pete's friend Bingo from Switzerland was there too. Luis from Swiss d-beat unit, Pack was supposed to go but stuff came up so he had to go home. Bingo did say Luis was coming back this January tho so that should be good. Seeing as how the show took a while to start apart from AAW being the last band on the bill, I decided to crash a nearby party my other non-punk friends were off to.

It's 11pm, give or take a few minutes. I stopped over by Some Place Else looking for Cheene and Dexter, didn't see them there. On my way out, I bumped into one of my classmates. After a short exchange, I find out that the whole Jungle Party thing at Casa de Habana was all Gimi's doing and he asks me to go in for free. So yeah, there was a shitload tons of free booze to go around. Our drummer, Paris just so happened to be there so we made plans of catching As A Whole's set later on in the night. I haven't partied for the longest time so this was actually a surprisingly good turn of events. My classmates were there, my friends from Harley's were there, hell Camille Nierra was there and that made the night absolutely perfect.

Hitting 1am, shit-faced and all; Paris and I stumble over to Pete's tribute show just in time for Lapida's set. We stick around until the end of the show. I sang on AAW's second to the last song, Lie No More. Memorized the lyrics, nearly played through it; towards the end of the song, Astro accidentally kicked the extension cord for the amps clean out of the wall socket. We played the whole song from the top, so yeah technically I sang two songs with As A Whole.

Went back to Casa de Habana with Paris afterwards. We drank some more then I went home after taking Paris to Metro (where everyone else at the party went after). This was around 3am, and I had to be at the airport by 5. At this point, when I got home I had yet to pack so yeah. No sleep, sleep is for the weak. I got to Manila tired as hell and hung over. Had lots of fun over the weekend though.

Hope this isn't the last time.



P.S.

Gimi, thanks for the awesome party. Classmates, we should do this more often. Camille, nothing I just miss you.

P.P.S.

Paris, get working on those songs! WE HAVE TO PRACTICEEEEE!

P.P.P.S.

Peter, rest in peace old buddy. I bet you'd be laughing your ass off with the way things turned out that night. We all miss you somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment