Sunday, May 31, 2009

Crustfest 2009

CRUSTFEST 2009
too punk rock for this Sarah Records heart



It's been months since Paeng went up to Laguna to take summer classes in UPLB; I've been bandless since Caitlyn Bailey went on hiatus so I kept the little punk kid in me busy by playing a few shows under the name Distances. A while back, Mhaduv from the Kinaiyahan Unahon collective spoke to me about stuff regarding Crustfest and whoever might be interested in playing. I thought, why not, right? So yeah, adds up; I pitched in.

Got texts left and right saying the call time was 6:00pm. I wasn't one of the organizers so I thought things were all set since it's usually that way when I get invited elsewhere. I got there sometime around 7:30pm and the show was nowhere close to starting. Yeah the gear was there but it was this really shoddy drumset, a muffled PA and some really really tiny amps. I ended up hanging out with some of my friends from hardcore bands, Clobeerin Time and Roundhead instead. Walked around for a bit until sometime around 9:00pm when the guys had dinner somewhere around GS before going back to the bar. 9:30pm, still nothing there! Alter was outside, he asked me if I could help with the setup. Well, I was apprehensive but I tried seeing what I could do. I offered to play next just to get the show starting. Got the second slot on the bill.

After tinkering with the mixer a bit, I decided it was more important for me to hear my drum tracks on the PA. Per usual, I played guitar out of two amps just to fill more space soundwise. What about the mics? The mics were horrible and since I was working with the laptop plugged into the PA, I pulled a Jeromes Dream on everyone by refusing to play with a mic. Everything set up, I played. 5 Songs, 5 minutes. That was the same set I played last time with an intro track before the actual songs and a new song in between. It was over pretty quick and much to the dismay of my friends, I had to leave right away.

Why leave so soon? Well, I guess shows like this come and go. There are some things I actually come home to now. I'd like to spend more time on that whenever I can.

Well, that's Crustfest 2009 for you. I hope next year would be better. At least this time, the cops weren't called on us like last year.



DISTANCES on myspace


No comments:

Post a Comment