Thursday, May 7, 2009

On being a figurative flight attendant


More often than not, I see myself as a perennial chance passenger who ends up boarding aircraft without the slightest, vaguest clue as to where my final destination may be. Long story short, I am a drifter; at least my heart is as far as i know. Last time i took one of those spontaneous flights, I ended up thinking I'd be settling down in some beautiful foreign land for good. I had plans and all, plans of building my life around a whole new set of coastlines and streetlights but apparently I had neither the foresight nor the strength of will to actually pull it off. It got sour and all, completely draining me of whatever resources I had. Eventually, the city and I just had to call it quits. I moved elsewhere for a while but it didn't work out any better than the last one did and that place wasn't exactly that notable. No offense though. Now, moving on...

The romance of travel isn't quite dead yet. I don't think it'll ever die, really. Regardless of how traumatized I was with the whole capital city thing failing, I also saw that there was still hope and beauty in other things I wouldn't usually expect such potent inspiration from. The simple comforts of neutral friendship and the serenity of living in a well-hidden part of town both worked hand in hand in whipping me back into shape ever since I came back home last December. Now, I feel like I'm ready to travel again. Wherever I choose to move, It wouldn't anything short of both passionate AND well thought-out.

Here's a few questions though:
1. Is this city too good to be true? Does it really even exist?
2. Would moving to this new city be economically or personally viable?
3. IS THIS TOWN READY FOR ME YET?

We are practically sister cities, but we're distinct enough to warrant individual demands from one another. It looks good so far but how are my odds actually faring? Well, it's not just up to me now. I don't really have much of a say in the matter.

We are flight attendants and we flood foreign capitals with our grace and simple charm. Is this a flight towards the rest of our lives or are we boarding planes that lead to nowhere?

I have no idea. I hate being so fucking figurative all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment